Soon enough, the number of games remaining in the NHL schedule will reach the single digits. One of the teams coming to play at Wells Fargo Center tonight is well-poised to make another playoff run, while the other is in need of more than a little luck.
The Flyers continue their four-game stretch against Metro Division teams with a matchup against the Pittsburgh Penguins, who have just arrived later this morning after encountering difficulties with this week's snowstorm. It's a chance for the Orange and Black to salvage some points against a team that's been hot -- bringing a six-game points streak with them.
Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m.
|Flyers Leaders||GP||G||A||P||Penguins Leaders||GP||G||A||P|
|Jake Voracek||68||17||37||54||Sidney Crosby||62||35||39||74|
|Claude Giroux||68||13||36||49||Evgeni Malkin||61||33||39||72|
|Wayne Simmonds||68||28||18||46||Phil Kessel||68||21||40||61|
|Brayden Schenn||65||20||23||43||Justin Schultz||65||12||34||46|
|Valtteri Filppula||65||8||28||36||Conor Sheary||48||20||23||43|
|Player to Watch|
|11 Travis Konecny||4 Justin Schultz|
|Last 5 Games: 3 G, 1 A, 4 P, +3||Last 5 Games: 2 G, 3 A, 5 P, +3|
|35 Steve Mason||30 Matt Murray|
|19-19-7, 2.77 GAA, .905 SV%||26-8-3, 2.33 GAA, .925 SV%|
Steve Mason reprises his role between the pipes for the Flyers. While he's been hot lately, stopping 24 of 28 shots against the Blue Jackets didn't do him too many favors.
Matt Murray will take the reins for the Penguins. He recorded a 27-save shutout against Vancouver in his last start on Saturday.
Flyers Projected Lineup
Scratches: Dale Weise, Jordan Weal (lower-body injury), Brandon Manning (upper-body injury, day-to-day), Michael Raffl (lower-body injury, out 6-8 weeks)
|Left Wing||Center||Right Wing|
|25 Nick Cousins||28 Claude Giroux||17 Wayne Simmonds|
|11 Travis Konecny||51 Valtteri Filppula||93 Jakub Voracek|
|22 Dale Weise||14 Sean Couturier||10 Brayden Schenn|
|76 Chris VandeVelde||78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare||24 Matt Read|
|9 Ivan Provorov||47 Andrew MacDonald|
|15 Michael Del Zotto||3 Radko Gudas|
|55 Nick Schultz||53 Shayne Gostisbehere|
|35 Steve Mason|
- Power Play: Flyers (12th, 14th at home), Penguins (3rd, 16th on road)
- Penalty Kill: Flyers (23rd, 13th at home), Penguins (20th, 22nd on road)
- Recent History vs. Penguins
- Feb. 25, 2017 - Sidney Crosby and Nick Bonino gave the Penguins a 2-0 lead to open the Stadium Series matchup, and when Jakub Voracek countered in the second to make it a one-goal game after 40 minutes, Matt Cullen scored in the third. Shayne Gostisbehere made it a one-goal game yet again, but Chad Ruhwedel put the game away with 5:54 left on the clock.
- Oct. 29, 2016 - Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds got the Flyers out to a fast 2-0 start in the first, but a pair of goals from Sidney Crosby and another from Matt Cullen in a 55-second span gave the Pens a 3-2 lead at the end of the first. Evgeni Malkin then scored to give them a two-goal lead in the second, before Claude Giroux and Voracek evened the score. Malkin netted his second of the game midway through the third, though, and the Penguins were able to stave off the Flyers from there.
- Milestone Watch
- Matt Read is now one assist away from 100 in his career.
Where to Watch
Radio: 97.5 The Fanatic