Posted by Danielle Wilson
Today, the Phillies traveled to Sarasota to play some Baseball with the Baltimore Orioles at Ed Smith Stadium. Cliff Lee started this game for the Phillies, while the Orioles put starter Jeremy Guthrie on the mound.
Here are the scoring plays of the game:
- 1st inning: Raul Ibanez hit a 2-run homerun off of Guthrie, scoring Shane Victorino (walked). Delwyn Young singled and scored Ross Gload (doubled).
- Nick Markakis tripled off of Lee and scored J.J. Hardy (singled) Markakis scored on an Adam Jones groundout.
- 3rd inning: Ryan Howard scored Shane Victorino on a sacrifice fly (singled, moved to third on an Ibanez double)
- Adam Jones solo shot to center (Cliff Lee still in)
- 5th inning: After a Shane Victorino double, Raul singled and scored Shane. Ryan Howard then proceeded to murder a baseball and send it to the parking lot. Ross Gload followed with a solo shot. This was all off of O’s pitcher Kevin Gregg. 8-5 Phillies.
- 8th inning: Following a walk to Matt Angle, Josh Bell singled and Joeseph Mahoney doubled to score 2 runs off of Brad Lidge.
- 9th inning: This was a good inning for the Phils. With two outs in the books, Freddy Galvis singled, followed by Rich Thompson reaching base on account of being hit. Brandon Moss doubled, scoring both Galvis and Thompson. Jim Murphy (I honestly have no clue who that is) reached base on a fielding error, and Moss scored. John Mayberry hit his fourth homerun of the spring shortly after, scoring 2 more runs.
- Dan Meyer stepped onto the mound and allowed a run to score on a solo homer hit by Robert Andino.
Final score: Phillies 13, Orioles 6.
The only 2 pitchers that Charlie used today that didn’t allow a run to score were Antonio Bastardo and Danys Baez. Both pitched 2 innings, and walked 2 batters. Baez struck out 1 batter, whereas Bastardo struck out 3.
As for Cliff Lee, he allowed 3 earned runs off of 5 hits, allowed 1 homerun and struck out 2 in 3 innings pitched.
Tomorrow’s game will be played in Bradenton against the Pirates, and the split-squad team will play the Rays. Both at 1:05, Phillies-Pirates on Comcast Sportsnet.