Entering Tuesday's game, Aaron Harang had just one win and a 7.44 ERA in his last 15 starts. But on Tuesday, the veteran of the Phillies rotation twirled a gem. For real.
Harang pitched seven solid innings as the offense backed his outing with six runs, snapping a five-game losing streak with a 6-2 win over the Miami Marlins at Marlins Park.
WP: Aaron Harang (6-15, 4.93 ERA) LP: Tom Koehler (10-14, 3.94 ERA)
The Phillies struck for the game's first run on a double steal. With Aaron Altherr on second and Odubel Herrera on first, the Phillies attempted the double steal and forced a throwing error on J.T. Realmuto, allowing Altherr to score.
A two-run single in the second by Freddy Galvis padded the lead to three. Cody Asche added another run in the fourth with his 10th home run of the season.
Darin Ruf got in on the fun in the seventh with his ninth home run of the season.
Harang's only blemish came on a two-run home run by Miguel Rojas in the seventh, cutting the Phillies lead to three.
But Asche came back up in the eighth and hit his second home run of the game and 11th of the season to cap the scoring.
Harang gave way to Dailer Hinojosa and Ken Giles, who finished off the game with two scoreless innings.
- Harang: W; 97 pitches, 61 strikes; 7 groundouts, 5 flyouts; 27 faced batters
- Koehler: L; 94 pitches, 55 strikes; 8 groundouts, 2 flyouts; 25 faced batters
Out of the 'Pen
- Dailer Hinojosa (8th): 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.96 ERA
- Ken Giles (9th): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 1.41 ERA
- Chris Narveson (6th-7th): 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 1 HR, 5.33 ERA
- Raudel Lazo (8th): 2/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR, 1.93 ERA
- Andre Rienzo (8th-9th): 1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.79 ERA
At the Plate
- Cody Asche: 3-4, 3 R, 2 HR (11), 2 RBI (33), SO
- Freddy Galvis: 3-5, 2 RBI (43)
- Darin Ruf: 1-5, HR (9), RBI (30), SO
- Donovan Solano: 3-4
- Derek Dietrich: 2-4, R
- Miguel Rojas: 1-3, R, HR (1), 2 RBI (12)
- Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at Miami Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
- RHP David Buchanan (2-9, 8.49 ERA) vs. LHP Adam Conley (4-1, 4.22 ERA)
- TV: CSN; Radio: 94 WIP, 1210 WPHT, WTTM 1680 (Sp.)
Kevin Durso is editorial assistant for Philliedelphia. Follow him on Twitter @Kevin_Durso.