As the Flyers returned from their league-mandated bye week against New Jersey, it was almost easy to see why that time off was necessary. They unraveled yet again, and found themselves swapping goalies for the third time in four games in a 4-1 loss.
They have an opportunity to bounce back against a New York Islanders team that has encountered recent struggles of their own. Not only do they sit dead-last in the Metro with a 19-17-8 record (though somehow, they sit four points behind the Flyers), they recently fired coach Jack Capuano and transitioned assistant GM Doug Weight behind the bench on an interim basis. Could always be worse, right?
Puck drop is set for 6 p.m.
|Flyers Leaders||GP||G||A||P||Islanders Leaders||GP||G||A||P|
|Jake Voracek||47||13||28||41||John Tavares||44||19||17||36|
|Claude Giroux||47||10||28||38||Josh Bailey||44||6||24||30|
|Wayne Simmonds||47||18||16||34||Anders Lee||44||17||7||24|
|Brayden Schenn||44||15||15||30||Brock Nelson||44||9||14||23|
|Travis Konecny||46||8||14||22||Nick Leddy||43||7||16||23|
|Player to Watch|
|11 Travis Konecny||91 John Tavares|
|Last 5 Games: 2 G, 0 A, 2 P, -2||Last 5 Games: 8 G, 1 A, 9 P, +5|
|35 Steve Mason||1 Thomas Greiss|
|14-15-6, 2.95 GAA, .897 SV%||12-7-2, 2.29 GAA, .927 SV%|
As Michal Neuvirth sits with a mild knee injury, Steve Mason will take the reigns for the Flyers. He made three saves on four shots in relief of Neuvirth last night.
Thomas Greiss will step in for the Islanders, playing in his seventh career game against the Orange and Black. He's looked decent since taking over as starter after the Isles waived Jaroslav Halak in December.
Flyers Projected Lineup
Scratches: Dale Weise, Brandon Manning, Nick Schultz
|Left Wing||Center||Right Wing|
|12 Michael Raffl||28 Claude Giroux||24 Matt Read|
|25 Nick Cousins||14 Sean Couturier||93 Jake Voracek|
|11 Travis Konecny||10 Brayden Schenn||17 Wayne Simmonds|
|76 Chris VandeVelde||78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare||13 Roman Lyubimov|
|15 Michael Del Zotto||53 Shayne Gostisbehere|
|9 Ivan Provorov||47 Andrew MacDonald|
|32 Mark Streit||3 Radko Gudas|
|30 Michal Neuvirth|
- Power Play: Flyers (9th, 8th on road), Islanders (26th, 28th at home)
- Penalty Kill: Flyers (21st, 25th on road), Islanders (20th, 24th at home)
- Recent History vs. Islanders
- Nov. 3, 2016 -- Matt Read's late power-play goal evened the game at two, as the Flyers claimed two points in a shootout. Travis Konecny scored, while John Tavares and one-time Flyer Dennis Seidenberg each found the back of the net for the Islanders. Michal Neuvirth made 25 saves, while Jaroslav Halak countered with 40.
- April 10, 2016 -- The Flyers found themselves in a 2-0 hole in the first period courtesy of Nikolay Kulemin and Matt Martin, but Shayne Gostisbehere and Evgeny Medvedev tied the game before the period could end. Michael Raffl, Scott Laughton and R.J. Umberger then followed, powering the Flyers to a 5-2 win. The win clinched a playoff berth, and the team responded with a postgame FaceTime call to Ed Snider, just before his passing a day later.
- March 21, 2016 -- Nick Cousins, Brandon Manning, Sam Gagner and Claude Giroux each scored in a 4-1 win, while Kyle Okposo netted the lone Islanders goal. Steve Mason and Thomas Greiss each posted 23 saves.
- Milestone Watch
- Brayden Schenn remains one goal away from 100-career goals.
Where to Watch
Radio: 97.5 The Fanatic