Final: Washington 3, Philadelphia 2 ❖
PHILADELPHIA, PA — The Phillies opened their second three-game series of the season against Washington with a 3-2 extra innings loss. In the previous series, the Phillies took the final two of the three games and outscored the Nationals 27-13 in the series. Between the two series, the Phillies were swept in three games by the Mets, making this their fourth consecutive loss.
Aaron Nola looked strong in today's start, but exited after five innings due to a high pitch count. The bullpen allowed collectively one hit and one run in three innings prior to Jeanmar Gomez's entrance. In the tenth inning, the game ended with a walk-off double by the Nationals resulting in another disappointing outing by Gomez.
WP: Shawn Kelly (1-0, 7.20 ERA) ❖ LP: Jeanmar Gomez (1-1, 11.81 ERA)
Tommy Joseph opened the scoring in the top of the second inning with a two-out solo home run. On a 1-0 count, Stephen Strasburg left a fastball high in the zone and Joseph took advantage for his first homer of 2017.
In the bottom of the inning, the Nationals responded. Ryan Zimmerman doubled with one out before advancing to third on a single from Jayson Werth. Matt Wieters then brought home Zimmerman with a single and tied the game at one run apiece.
Cameron Rupp led off the top of the fifth inning with a double off the centerfield wall. A ground ball off the bat of Aaron Nola allowed Rupp to advance to third and turn the lineup over. Cesar Hernandez singled up the middle to score Rupp and give the Phillies a 2-1 lead.
Chris Heisey pinch-hit for Strasburg in the seventh inning and walked with one out. After advancing to second base on a passed ball, Heisey scored on a double to right by Anthony Rendon.
With the score tied at 2-2 in the tenth inning, Bryce Harper led off with a single. In the next at-bat, Daniel Murphy doubled allowing Harper to score for a walk-off Nationals win.
- Tommy Joseph: 1-3, HR, RBI, R, BB .480 AVG
- Michael Saunders: 2-4, .235 AVG
- Howie Kendrick: 1-4, 2B, .343 AVG
- Ryan Zimmerman: 1-3, 2B, .378 AVG
- Daniel Murphy: 2-5, 2B, RBI, .444 AVG
- Anthony Rendon: 2-5, 2B, RBI, .171 AVG
- Pat Neshek: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Edubray Ramos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.38 ERA
- Hector Neris: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Jeanmar Gomez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 11.81 ERA
- Koda Glover: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.60 ERA
- Blake Treinen: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.06 ERA
- Shawn Kelly: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 7.20 ERA
- Saturday, April 15, 2017: at Washington Nationals, 1:05 p.m.
- Nationals Park
- RHP Jeremy Hellickson (1-0, 0.90 ERA) vs. RHP Tanner Roark (2-0, 4.09 ERA)
- TV: CSN, MLBN; Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP