PITTSBURGH — The Phillies are looking to win their first series since they won two games against the Miami Marlins in a series that took place from April 25-27. Aaron Nola, who has gone 2-0 with a 4.50 ERA in three starts this season, will return from injury today. The Phillies have lost 16 of their last 20 games. During that span, they have been outscored 117-88. On the road, they've lost 12 of their last 15 and hold just a .291 road win-percentage.
Starting Pitching Matchup:
|Philadelphia Phillies (15-22)||Pittsburgh Pirates (19-24)|
|RHP||Aaron Nola||RHP||Chad Kuhl|
|(2-0, 4.50 ERA)||(1-4, 6.69 ERA)|
Aaron Nola — Age: 23;
- Last Start: April 20, 2017, at NYM: W, 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 SO, 1 HR
- Career vs. Rockies: N/A
On April 21, Aaron Nola was placed on the 10-day disabled list with a lower back strain after a game against the New York Mets. Now, a month later, he'll be making his return to the rotation. He made two rehab starts in AAA for Lehigh Valley with a 1-0 record and 0.87 ERA. His most recent rehab start was on May 15. He allowed two hits, walked one and struck out seven in 6.1 innings.
Chad Kuhl — Age: 24;
- Last Start: May 16, 2017, vs. WSH: L, 4.0 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 SO, 1 HR
- Career vs. Phillies: (1-0), 1 G, 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 SO, 0 HR, 3.00 ERA
Just twice in eight outings this season has Kuhl gone six innings (April 13, 18). In his last two starts, he's gone 0-2 and allowed ten runs and 16 hits. Kuhl features a sinker, changeup and slider. His sinker will come in at around 96 mph, while his changeup an slider typically sit around 89-91 mph. Phillies hitters are 4-for-17 against Kuhl historically
|Philadelphia Phillies (15-25)||Pittsburgh Pirates (19-24)|
|1||2B||Cesar Hernandez||S||1||LF||Adam Frazier||L|
|2||SS||Freddy Galvis||S||2||2B||Josh Harrison||R|
|3||LF||Aaron Altherr||R||3||CF||Andrew McCutchen||R|
|4||RF||Michael Saunders||L||4||1B||Josh Bell||S|
|5||CF||Odubel Herrera||L||5||3B||David Freese||R|
|6||3B||Maikel Franco||R||6||RF||John Jaso||L|
|7||1B||Brock Stassi||L||7||C||Chris Stewart||R|
|8||C||Andrew Knapp||S||8||SS||Gift Ngoepe||R|
|9||P||Aaron Nola||R||9||P||Chad Kuhl||R|
- First pitch: 1:35 p.m.
- TV: CSN
- Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP
- As a team, the Phillies have allowed 23 home runs this season in situations where the batter has two strikes against him, including a 4th inning home run from David Freese in yesterday's game.
- On their current road trip, the Phillies bullpen has posted a 6.12 ERA (17 ER, 25.0 IP) as opponents are batting .275 (28-102). This season, the Philadelphia pen has allowed a NL-most 27 home runs.
- The Pirates are 34-18 all-time against the Phillies at PNC Park. Since the start of the 2014 season, the Pirates have gone 9-2 against the Phillies at PNC Park.
|Updated: May 21, 2017|
- Monday, May 21, 2017: vs. Colorado Rockies, 7:05 p.m.
- Citizens Bank Park
- RHP Jerad Eickhoff (0-4, 4.53 ERA) vs. TBA
- TV: CSN; Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP.