Final: Phillies 9, Mets 1 ❖ Attendance: 22,230
FLUSHING, N.Y. — Philadelphia Phillies (53-85) rookie RHP Ben Lively, acquired via trade from the Cincinnati Reds on Dec. 31, 2014 for veteran outfielder Marlon Byrd, showcased not only his arm but also his bat in Tuesday evening's matchup against RHP Jacob deGrom and the New York Mets (59-79).
While Lively recorded his seventh quality start out of 11 career appearances overall, he also doubled his career home run (2) and RBI total (8) — going 2-4 with a home run and four RBIs — as the Phillies went on to rout deGrom and the Mets, 9-1. Lively is the first Phillies pitcher with four RBIs in a game since southpaw Cliff Lee on Sept. 16, 2013.
Phillies No. 4 prospect J.P. Crawford made his long-awaited major league debut at third base in the victory, going 1-5 with a bloop single to center field in the fifth, a run scored and two strikeouts. All nine Phillies starters scored at least one run for the first time since June 24, 2010.
WP: Ben Lively (3-5, 3.92 ERA) ❖ LP: Jacob deGrom (14-9, 3.65 ERA)
DeGrom surrendered a career-high nine runs. As MLB.com's Todd Zolecki notes, the right-hander gave up only 17 runs in his first 10 starts against the Phillies combined. The Mets were 10-0 in those outings, while deGrom was undefeated — 6-0 with a 2.10 ERA. Lively's only run surrendered was a two-out, first-inning RBI double to opposing catcher and former Phillies prospect, Travis d'Arnaud.
Making his first start since August 14 (left hamstring strain), Phillies center fielder Odubel Herrera extended his league-leading hit streak to 19 games via a RBI single in the fourth inning, three batters after Lively's 392-foot, two-run blast to right center. Mets shortstop Jose Reyes' 10-game hit streak was snapped, as he went 0-4 batting in the leadoff position with just nine pitches seen against Phillies pitching.
The Phillies will send RHP Nick Pivetta to the mound on Wednesday in search of back-to-back series victories. Pivetta was slated to oppose once-All-Star RHP Matt Harvey, but the Mets decided against having him throw on short rest.
- 1B Rhys Hoskins: 2-3, 2B, R, 2 BB, .319 AVG
- RF Nick Williams: 2-5, 2B, R, 3 RBI, .274 AVG
- RHP Ben Lively: 2-4, HR, R, 4 RBI, .286 AVG
- RF Norichika Aoki: 1-3, 2B, R, BB, .353 AVG
- 3B Asdrubal Cabrera: 2-4, 2B, .259 AVG
- C Travis d'Arnaud: 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, .232 AVG
- LHP Hoby Milner (8th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, BB, 0 SO, 2.01 ERA
- RHP Ricardo Pinto (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 8.53 ERA
- LHP Josh Smoker (4th, 5th): 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO, 5.70 ERA
- RHP Jacob Rhame (6th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, SO, 0.00 ERA
- RHP Kevin McGowan (7th): 1.0 IP, H, 0 R, 2 BB, SO, 3.86 ERA
- RHP Erik Goeddel (8th): 1.0 IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO, 3.95 ERA
- RHP Jamie Callahan (9th): 1.0 IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, SO, 5.40 ERA
- Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017: at New York Mets, 7:10 p.m.
- Citi Field
- RHP Nick Pivetta (5-9, 6.28 ERA) vs. TBA
- TV: CSN; Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP