Will the Phillies move Cesar Hernandez? (Brandon Apter/SportsTalkPhilly)
For the past two seasons, Philadelphia Phillies second baseman has been one of the best kept secrets in baseball. But if they weren't familiar with Hernandez already, the baseball world is becoming very familiar with the 27-year-old at the MLB Winter Meetings.
In the latest report pertaining to the Phillies possibly moving Hernandez, Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports says the second-base needy New York Mets continue to consider Hernandez, despite his high price tag:
Mets are weighing kinsler, kipnis, Harrison, Hernandez (tho Hernandez would take a haul) for 2B. Castro not in mix.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 13, 2017
This isn't the first time that the Mets have been connected to Hernandez. Heyman reported late last month that the Mets had checked in on Hernandez. In addition to the Mets, the Los Angeles Angels have been interested in Hernandez for over a year. Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia reported yesterday that the Angels "covet" Hernandez, and given their recent moves, they seem motivated to continue adding talented players like Hernandez.
Jeff Fletcher of The Orange County Register reported Tuesday that the Phillies are targeting either pitching prospects, or pitchers that are yet to become arbitration eligible in a return for Hernandez.
Why is the Phillies asking price on Hernandez high? Despite the fact that top prospect Scott Kingery is looming at Triple-A, Hernandez has led the Phillies in walks for three straight seasons, grades out well as a fielder and has untapped potential as a basestealer. He also can't become a free-agent until after 2020.
Though Hernandez may take more to acquire in a trade than someone like Ian Kinsler, he's under team control through 2020, while Kinsler can become a free-agent after next season. He also will make less than the $11 million that Kinsler is scheduled to make in 2018.
More Winter Meetings Content
- Phillies Nuggets Winter Meetings Preview: Yelich, Hernandez, Cole And More!
- Phillies Nuggets: On The Idea Of A Machado Trade, Kingery, Sanchez And More!
- Orioles Shopping Manny Machado; Phillies Reluctant To Move Prospects
- With Stanton Trade, Phillies Path To One Of Harper Or Machado Has Become Easier
- Phillies 'considering' Jake Arrieta, per report
- Phillies To Sign Pat Neshek To 2-year Deal
- Phillies Reportedly Agree To Terms With Tommy Hunter
- Phillies Rumors: Club Expected To Have "High" Asking Price On Cesar Hernandez
- Phillies Reportedly Remain Interested In Carlos Santana