Final: Miami Marlins 2, Philadelphia Phillies 1 ❖ Attendance: 5,844
MIAMI, Fla. — The Philadelphia Phillies (16-13) fell to the Miami Marlins (11-18) in ten innings. It is the team's fourth consecutive loss, as well as the third straight series loss. The Phils are a disappointing 2-6 in their last eight games. Tonight's pitcher for the Phillies, Zach Eflin, was making his first start of 2018 in place of the injured Ben Lively. Eflin did not disappoint. The righty retired the first 15 batters he faced in order, not allowing a baserunner until the sixth inning. His only mistake was a hanging slider to Justin Bour that was hammered over the fence in right-center field. In total, Eflin went six innings and allowed one run on four hits, while striking out four and walking none. The bullpen was solid, tossing three and 1/3 scoreless innings before ultimately allowing the winning run to score in the 10th.
The lack of offense is to blame for tonight's loss. The team was 1-10 with runners in scoring position. However, there were a few positives. With his single in the fourth inning, Odubel Herrera has now reached base safely in 31 straight games. Nick Williams snapped a 0-20 streak with his pinch-hit single in the seventh inning. Jorge Alfaro had two hits.
Scott Kingery was hit by a 98 MPH fastball in his throwing elbow in the ninth inning. He left the game in the tenth inning. Manager Gabe Kapler told reporters after the game that it was a precautionary move. It's likely that Kingery will not be in the line-up tomorrow to give him some extra recovery time and to make sure that there isn't any further damage.
WP: Junichi Tazawa (1-1, 6.39 ERA) ❖ LP: Yacksel Rios (3-1, 3.21 ERA)
It was a quiet pitcher's duel through the first four innings. In the top of the fifth, however, the Phillies finally found a way to get on the board. Jorge Alfaro got it started with a single to right field. Pitcher Zach Eflin moved Alfaro to second with a sacrifice bunt. Cesar Hernandez lined out to center field, but Alfaro was able to advance to third on the play. Left fielder Rhys Hoskins followed with a two-out double that easily scored Alfaro and gave the Phils a 1-0 lead. Hoskins was stranded at second, as Odubel Herrera grounded out to end the inning.
The Marlins tied it up in their half of the sixth inning. Miguel Rojas became the first Marlins baserunner of the night after a bloop double just outside the infield to lead off the frame. Lewis Brinson attempted to bunt, but the ball landed right in front of Alfaro, who rifled the ball down to third. Rojas was caught in a rundown between second and third and was ultimately tagged out. Brinson remained at first base. During the at-bat of pinch-hitter Justin Bour, Brinson was picked off of first base for the second out of the inning. At first, the umpire called him safe on his dive back toward the bag, but after the play was reviewed, the call was reversed. This ended up being a huge play, as Bour homered to right-center field to tie the game. If Brinson had still been on first, the Marlins would have taken the lead. J.T. Realmuto followed with a single to center to extend his hitting streak to ten games. Martin Prado grounded out to second for the final out.
After nine innings, the score was still tied, so the game headed to extra innings. The Marlins took home the win in the bottom of the tenth. With one out, Cameron Maybin tripled to center field. Rojas was intentionally walked to put runners on first and third for pinch-hitter Yadiel Rivera. He singled to center and Maybin scored the winning run. Rivera's hit handed the Marlins a series win, as they also beat the Phils on Monday night.
- Jorge Alfaro: 2-4, R, .231 AVG
- Rhys Hoskins: 1-4, 2B, RBI, .301 AVG
- Odubel Herrera: 1-5, .337 AVG
- Justin Bour: 1-2, R, HR, RBI, .253 AVG
- Cameron Maybin: 1-4, R, 3B, .215 AVG
- Yadiel Rivera: 1-1, RBI, .143 AVG
- Tommy Hunter (7th): 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.15 ERA
- Luis Garcia (7th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.92 ERA
- Adam Morgan (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.61 ERA
- Edubray Ramos (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.69 ERA
- Yacksel Rios (9th, 10th): 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.21 ERA
- Nick Wittgren (7th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.50 ERA
- Drew Steckenrider (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 1.23 ERA
- Tayron Guerrero (9th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 4.11 ERA
- Junichi Tazawa (10th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 6.39 ERA
- Wednesday, May 2, 2018: at Miami Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
- Miami - Marlins Park
- RHP Aaron Nola (3-1, 2.58 ERA) vs. RHP Jose Urena (0-4, 4.91 ERA)
- TV: NBCSP; Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP, WSAN AM 1470, WTTM 1680