Final: Philadelphia Phillies 5, Arizona Diamondbacks 2 ❖ Attendance: 22,382
PHOENIX, Az. — With tonight's win over the Arizona Diamondbacks (63-52), the Philadelphia Phillies (64-49) have a 14-11 record against the National League West division this season and a 6-1 record in their last seven games. Starter Nick Pivetta was excellent tonight. Over six innings, the righty allowed zero runs, five hits and one walk and struck out six. Four relievers threw a combined three innings to get Pivetta his seventh win of the season. This includes Pat Neshek, who earned his second save of the season on just five pitches.
After the bats were mostly quiet for the first seven innings of the game against D-backs ace Zack Greinke, the Phillies came out swinging in the eighth. The Phils scored four runs in the eighth inning, highlighted by a two-run double by Asdrubal Cabrera. Also in that inning, a bizarre two-error play had Cesar Hernandez rounding the bases. Earlier in the game, Nick Williams hit his 16th home-run of the season. It is also only the sixth home-run that Greinke has allowed to a left-handed hitter this season.
WP: Nick Pivetta (7-9, 4.51 ERA) ❖ LP: Zack Greinke (12-7, 2.89 ERA) ❖ SV: Pat Neshek (2)
The Phillies took an early lead in the game. Right fielder Nick Williams led off the third inning with a solo homer just over the right field wall. Unfortunately for the Phils, the next three batters were retired in order by D-backs starter Zack Greinke and they weren't able to score more than the one run.
The Phils added on in an unusual way in the eighth. Cesar Hernandez led off the inning by hitting a ball back to D-backs reliever Jake Diekman. The lefty threw wild to first, allowing Hernandez to take second and to start making his way toward third. Right fielder Steven Souza Jr. attempted to throw Hernandez out, but the ball ended up in the stands past third base and out of play. Hernandez was promptly awarded home to give the Phillies a 2-0 lead. Rhys Hoskins followed the odd Little League-like play with a walk. Williams singled for his second hit of the game to put runners on first and second with no outs for Carlos Santana. He walked to load the bases. Asdrubal Cabrera hit a clutch opposite field double to score both Hoskins and Williams, while moving Santana up to third. After Odubel Herrera was retired on a weak grounder back to the pitcher for the first out, the D-backs opted to remove Diekman in favor of Brad Ziegler. He retired Maikel Franco for the second out. Catcher Jorge Alfaro singled to left, scoring Santana to give the Phils a 5-0 lead. Cabrera went to third on the play. Pinch-hitter Andrew Knapp grounded out to end the inning, but the Phillies put four big runs on the board late in the game.
The D-backs fought back in their half of the eighth. Jeff Mathis hit a lead off single off of recently-acquired Phils reliever Aaron Loup. One out later, David Peralta singled to put runners on first and second for Paul Goldschmidt. The Phillies opted to replace Loup on the mound with Victor Arano. He allowed a double to Goldschmidt, which scored Mathis and allowed Peralta to advance to third base. It was now a 5-1 ballgame. A.J. Pollock reached on a ground ball that went through the legs of Franco at third base. Peralta scored and Goldschmidt moved up to third base on the error. Eduardo Escobar grounded into a double play to end the threat. The Phils were able to secure the victory easily in the ninth, thanks to a solid outing by reliever Pat Neshek.
- Nick Williams: 2-5, 2 R, HR, RBI, .260 AVG
- Asdrubal Cabrera: 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI, .274 AVG
- Jorge Alfaro: 1-4, RBI, .254 AVG
- Paul Goldschmidt: 2-4, 2B, RBI, .276 AVG
- David Peralta: 2-4, R, .300 AVG
- Jeff Mathis: 1-3, R, .211 AVG
- Luis Garcia (7th): 1.0, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.77 ERA
- Aaron Loup (8th): 0.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 5.00 ERA
- Victor Arano (8th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.06 ERA
- Pat Neshek (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.73 ERA
- Jake Diekman (8th): 0.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.95 ERA
- Brad Ziegler (8th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.47 ERA
- T.J. McFarland (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.80 ERA
- Wednesday, August 8, 2018: at Arizona Diamondbacks, 3:40 p.m.
- Phoenix - Chase Field
- RHP Vince Velasquez (8-8, 3.80 ERA) vs. LHP Patrick Corbin (8-4, 3.31 ERA)
- TV: NBCSP, MLBN (out-of-market only); Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP, WTTM 1680