By Matt Ryan, Sports Talk Philly Contributor
The Eagles face the New York Jets in the last game of the 2019 NFL pre season. The game has been very low scoring with the Jets leading 3-0 at halftime. Here’s what we saw in the first 30 minutes of action:
- The defensive line has played great in the first half. Hassan Ridgeway had a key sack on 3rd and five to push a field goal attept back to the 43-yard line which was eventually missed.
- The Eagles run defense has dominated so far allowing just 29 yards.
- The defense has done a great job putting pressure on the quarterback, hitting the quarterback six times in the first half.
- Wendell Smallwood was puting together a nice drive until he fumbled just outside of the red zone. Not good coming from someone who is on the fringe of not making the 53-man roster.
- Clayton Thorston threw an interception inside Eagles terrory. That drive ended in a chip shot field goal for the Jets, putting them up 3-0.
- The offense has not been able to get anything going, putting up just 70 yards from scrimmage in the entire first half.
The offense needs to hit their stride. Thorston has not thrown the ball downfiled with exception of one 25-yard completion to Marken Michel. In order to put some points on the board, Thorston needs to let the ball fly. The secondary has not looked great, allowing recivers to get wide open for easy 10-yard receptions.
Second Half X-Factor: Clayton Thorston
Clayton Thorston needs to start making plays if the Eagles are going to win this game. Thorston has not been sharp, throwing an interception and compleating just six passes. The game is still well in reach as the Eagles are only down by three, but Thorston is going to need to step up and make plays in order for the Eagles to pull this one out.