- Pick'em Challenge: Which fictional QB would you want to lead your team in the 4th quarter of the title game?
- Top 5 Fictional Players
- Top 5 Fictional Coaches
- Top 5 Fictional Teams
- Favorite scenes
On Part Deux:
The Doc, Watkins, and the live audience debated the best and most overrated football movies in Part Uno of The Great Football Movie Debate. Plus which TEAM's should have a movie made about them?
Can't watch live?! Click on the PodOmatic link below and "follow" the show to be notified when audio drops!
The Doc is joined by NFL scouting expert Brett Halpern, Scouting Academy certified, to breakdown the 2020 NFL Draft.
- Were they fans of the new format?
- Grading the NFC East
- Winners & Losers Around the NFL
- Where will key free agents land?
The Show is also available in podcast form at PodOmatic!
Embed from Getty Images
Let’s get right into it, Mike Mamula gets a bad rap as the Philadelphia Eagles biggest draft bust of all-time. The 8th overall pick in the 1995 NFL Draft is often called a workout warrior, combine superstar, a waste of a pick, and a bust. Some choose to call Mamula the worst draft pick in Eagles history but it is not the case.
A brief history lesson for those not in the know.
The Eagles traded their first (12th overall) and third round picks to Tampa Bay in order to move up to the eighth pick and take Mamula. The Boston College star was coming off a senior year in which he compiled 73-tackles, 17-sacks and a unanimous All Big East selection. He followed with a record setting combine where outperformed almost everyone athletically. He was considered the perfect complement to defensive stalwarts William Fuller, Andy Harmon and the replacement for Reggie White who left two-seasons prior.
Through his first four season in Philadelphia, Mamula played in 62-games, 58-games started, recorded 186 total tackles, 26.5 sacks, eight forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, one interception, and two defensive touchdowns. He added 23-tackles and 5.5 sacks through an injury plagued 2000 season which was his last in the NFL.
Pro Football Reference compares Mamula’s first four years to former Dolphins star and NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor. If you include the injury riddled 2000 season, Mamula’s 5-year's compares to Jacksonville’s Yannick Ngakoue.
That is the same Yannick Ngakoue that many Eagles fans were begging for earlier in the off-season.
Yes, the Eagles should’ve drafted Warren Sapp but they didn’t. The truth is Mike Mamula was not that bad of a draft pick.
In no order here are ten Eagles draft picks that are much worse than Mamula. We are talking REALLY bad even some criminals.
OT Kevin Allen, 1985 1st Round (8th overall)- Kevin Allen lasted one season in the NFL and calling it an epic disaster might be too nice. Allen gave up eight sacks to the New York Giants in his first start. Former coach Buddy Ryan termed Allen a “USFL reject.” Allen was suspended from the NFL before the 1986 season for repeated cocaine use. He was subsequently jailed for rape, serving 15-months of a 33-year sentence. The Eagles drafted Allen ahead of Pro Bowlers Al Toon, Jim Lachey, Eddie Brown, and Jerry Gray. Allen was also selected ahead of a wide receiver from little known Mississippi Valley State. Jerry Rice went on to be the greatest wide receiver of all-time.
OT Bernard Williams, 1994 1st Round (14th overall)- Bernard Williams started 16-games for the Eagles on his way to being named to the NFL’s 1994 All-Rookie team. His success in South Philadelphia was short lived however. Williams never played another NFL game after his rookie season due to failed drug tests. He never played in the NFL again.
DE Jon Harris, 1997 1st Round (25th overall)- Jon Harris played 24-games in the NFL over two seasons and did nothing. He was traded by the Eagles after the 1998 season and never played another game. Notable players drafted after Harris include Pro Bowlers Trevor Pryce (28th), Tiki Barber (36th), and Sam Madison (44th).
Facebook during a pandemic is bad for a lot of reasons but some good can come from it too. A debate raged over the weekend, who is the greatest NFL safety of all-time? There was a ton of love for Brian Dawkins as expected but there was serious consideration for others as well.
The Doc & Watkins took that question to the airwaves on the latest live stream of the show.
- In honor of episode #80, who is the greatest #80 in Philly sports history?
- The MLB has coronavirus realignment plans!
- Who are the winners & losers of the changes?
- Thoughts on the universal DH
- The return of #SchmuckOfTheWeek
Can't join the show live? The show is available in podcast for by clicking Section 247 Show !
The Doc and Watkins tackled the tragedy in Southern California.
• The life & legacy of Kobe Bryant
• Derek Jeter’s less than unanimous hall vote
• Is Sportsradio WIP’s Andy Reid Day too much
• The Road to WrestleMania has begun! A breakdown of the 2020 WWE Royal Rumble
• Super Bowl LIV preview • Eagles coaching search continues
• Philly sports round up: Flyers, 76ers, & Phillies talk
• Convenience store etiquette & more
One More Shot for Andy! Plus Eagles OC Search & Baseball Troubles
The Doc & Watkins discuss the triumph of Philadelphia's (NOW) favorite son Andy Reid & the Kansas City Chiefs & ask will the Eagles hire an OC anytime soon?!? Plus - #GymTime2020 - Super Sunday is Set! A Look Back at Championship Sunday - Chiefs/Titans - Niners/Pack - Boyz II Men drama (apparently) - Jason Kelce...#SchmuckOfTheWeek?! - Sign Stealing Goes Wild - Oh baby (blue)!!! Powder Blue Uni's Making a Comeback & More!
- #CarsonWentz, elite #NFL QB
- #BattleOfTheBirds #NFLPlayoff preview
- #Birds #AllDecade team
- #Top 5 Philly Sports Moments of the Decade
- #NFLBlackMonday -
- #Phillies All-Decade team (time permitting)
- #SchmuckOfTheWeek: #Rampage Jackson
- In honor of Festivus, the traditional airing of the grievances
- True or False: Carson Wentz has been elite
- True or False: Darren Sproles is a HOF'er
- True or False: Harold Carmichael gets in the HOF
- True or False: Home Alone is an overrated Christmas movie
- More overrated Christmas movies & Christmas songs
Join the show LIVE every Monday!
Lipinski & Watkins went LIVE on Facebook & Twitch discussing all things Philly sports and more! It didn't go completely off the rails! The #2Mikes discussed the Eagles quest for the NFC East and whether or not the Phillies are better now than they were last season.
The show will air LIVE most Monday nights on Facebook Live & Twitch TV. It will stream on YouTube & anywhere else you find podcasts on Tuesday.
On this Show:
- We Are Live!
- Live interactions with fans
- Watkins has a reunion
- Cord Cutter!
- What we're drinking
- True or False: The Eagles will win the NFC East
- True or False: The Phillies are better after their signings
- True or False: Charles & Shaq were right about JoJo
- True or False: Army-Navy is the best rivalry in college football
- #SchmuckOfTheWeek: Major League Baseball
Subscribe to the podcast
Follow us on social media