By Evan Krawczuk, Contributing Writer
What an absolutely electric fourth quarter for the Birds. My oh my. They looked terrible in the third quarter, absolutely dreadful. But then, the fourth quarter comes and it finally looks like the Eagles want to win football games. At the half, the Eagles were down 14-10, and they were very shaky until the fourth quarter. Here's what I saw in the back half of action:
I was very hard on Miles Sanders to begin the season. I didn't like the draft pick and he couldn't hold onto the ball. So I held a grudge against him. I am sorry Miles, I am now a fan. Sanders played great today. Catching the ball, running inside, outside, blocking, he did it all. He ran hard and he made some cuts that were unbelievable. Sanders also showed off his speed today. He outran contain defenders on multiple occasions to gain first downs and that's how he broke off that long 56 yard run. Miles flexed his football IQ on the third quarter scramble by Wentz. All-in-all, Sanders finished with 172 total yards (122 rushing), six receptions and two total touchdowns. An incredible day by the rookie back.
Big Fletch has been a baller all year, today was no different. The Eagles All-Everything defensive tackle lived in the backfield today. He got tons of penetration and forced the ball to the edge guys. Granted, the edge guys didn't always do their jobs but Cox made it difficult for the Redskins to get anything up the middle. Cox bullied the Redskins depleted O-Line and forced them into a couple holding penalties which are sometimes just as good as sacks. Fletch only finished with four tackles but his presence on the line made it difficult for the Redskins offense.
- Zach Ertz - Ertz has been solid all season. Unfortunately for him, he's been overshadowed almost every week. Ertz had a another good game today finishing with five catches for 61 yards and one touchdown.
- Avonte Maddox- Maddox was debatable the Eagles best defensive back today. Maddox had two pass breakups and came up with a huge third-down stop in the fourth quarter.
- The best throw of the year. Wentz rolls to his right and fires a missile to Miles Sanders for a huge touchdown.
- Miles Sanders broke the Redskins contain and galloped 56 yards for a huge gain for the Eagles in the fourth quarter. Sanders showed off the wheels to get outside but ended up get tackle deep into Redskins territory.
- Dallas Goedert made an absolutely absurd one handed catch to give the Eagles a huge first down right before the 2-minute warning. For a guy who had problems with drops, it was a phenomenal catch.
- GREG WARD JR. FOR MAYOR OF PHILADELPHIA. Wentz aired one out to the corner of the end zone and Ward ran under it for a beautiful touchdown to cap the game.
- Haskins plays hot potato with the football with six second left in the game. Nigel Bradham says "Thank you" and takes it to the house to end the game!!!!!!
Philadelphia Eagles at Washington Redskins – December 15, 2019